Charter for Employers
Since MINDFUL EMPLOYER was launched in 2004, a total of 2,031 employers have at some point been a signatory to the Charter for Employers who are Positive About Mental Health.
The Charter is not an accreditation, award or a set of quality standards - it is completely voluntary.
The Charter is about working towards the principles of it not the immediate fulfilment of them. There is no 'baseline assessment': simply wanting to sign the Charter is sufficient. Signing up is a step along a journey not the end of it. Being a Charter signatory doesn't mean 'getting it all right' - but it does indicate a willingness to work towards better practice. Employers can be involved in MINDFUL EMPLOYER without signing the Charter but many use it as a tangible display of their commitment to improving the working lives of their staff.
If you are an employer from outside the UK please contact us.
MINDFUL EMPLOYER Plus is a service exclusively for organisations who are Charter signatories. MINDFUL EMPLOYER Plus provides confidential telephone support for staff and managers for just £1+VAT per person per year. Download Key Points or, if you're already a Charter signatory, sign up for MINDFUL EMPLOYER Plus now.
Charter For Employers Who Are Positive About Mental Health
As an employer we recognise that, in the UK, people experiencing mental ill health continue to report stigma and discrimination. We are committed to creating a supportive and open culture, where colleagues are able to talk about mental health. We are also committed to ensuring that our employees feel safe in disclosing any mental health conditions and confident that they will be properly supported and offered reasonable adjustments when required.
As an employer we have made an ongoing commitment to:
- Provide non-judgemental and proactive support to individual staff who experience mental ill health.
- Not make assumptions that a person with a mental health condition will be more vulnerable to workplace stress or take more time off than any other employee or job applicant.
- Show a positive and enabling attitude to all employees and job applicants with a mental health condition. This will include positive statements in local recruitment literature.
- Ensure all line managers have access to information and training about managing mental health in the workplace.
- Ensure that all staff involved in recruitment and selection are briefed on mental health conditions and The Equality Act 2010, and given appropriate interview skills. Make it clear in any recruitment or occupational health check that people who have experienced mental ill health will not be discriminated against and that disclosure of a mental health problem will enable both employee and employer to assess and provide the right level of support or adjustment.
© MINDFUL EMPLOYER
By signing the Charter you will:
- Show that your organisation is working towards putting its principles in to practice
- Be demonstrating your commitment to the mental wellbeing of your staff
- Receive a personalised Charter showing the company name and logo
- Be able to use the MINDFUL EMPLOYER logo
There is no specific starting point, no baseline assessment - simply the desire to make a difference for your employees.
As a signatory, you will receive:
- Access to MINDFUL EMPLOYER Plus providing telephone helplines for your staff and managers for just £1+VAT per person per year
- Complimentary copies of the MINDFUL EMPLOYER Line Managers' Resource and Keeping Well at Work and 10% discount on further copies - Order Online to buy now
- The opportunity to display your company logo on MINDFUL EMPLOYER Leaflets (subject to minimum order) - contact us for a sample copy or to discuss prices
- Free Posters to display (these can be viewed by clicking on the link - printable copies are only available to signatories)
- Discount on mental health awareness sessions at your workplace run by MINDFUL EMPLOYER and Workways
- Other offers and discounts made available by other signatories and organisations
- A copy of Working Towards which will help you identify current good practice, areas for improvement and action to take - and support to take those actions if you would like it
*If you are based outside of the UK we will change the wording to refer to appropriate legislation in your country.
What difference does it make?
Signing the Charter makes a public, tangible statement of your organisation's commitment to your staff. You can read what employers tell us about the difference it makes and how they are taking steps towards the aspirations. Read also about the first 1,000 signatories and our evaluation of the initiative.
Reviewing the Commitment
Each Charter signatory undertakes a review two years after signing and every three years thereafter. Such reviews reflect the general philosophy of the initiative: that of supporting employers in the recruitment and retention of staff who experience mental ill health. Reviewing the Charter will tell you about the process. On the Way is a pdf version of the Review so you can see what it looks like - the Review itself is done online so please don't complete this version.
Paying administration fees is a condition of being a signatory. The fees shown below are non-refundable and are not a form of subscription, membership charge nor payment for service. For both of the fees shown below, the number of employees refers to the actual number of paid staff (i.e. not based on full-time equivalent posts and not including volunteers).
Registered Charities receive a 5% discount on all administration fees.
New Signatory Administration Fee:
Less than 10 employees £40 10-50 employees £55 51-250 employees £85 215-1000 employees £110
1001-5000 employees £150 5001-10000 employees £200 over 10000 employees £250
All fees are subject to VAT.
Charter Review Administration Fee
All signatories are required to complete a Review two years after signing and every three years thereafter. NB This is not an annual fee.
Less than 10 employees) £75 10 to 50 employees £80 51-250 employees £120 251-1000 employees £160
1001-5000 employees £170 5001-10000 employees £180 over 10000 employees £190
All fees are per Review and are subject to VAT.