The term mental ill health covers
stress, depression, anxiety, bi-polar disorder (manic depression),
psychosis, schizophrenia and can be associated with drug and alcohol abuse and eating disorders (e.g. anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa).
1 in 4 people experience such difficulties at some point in their life.
Being a MINDFUL EMPLOYER
MINDFUL EMPLOYER provides you with easier access to information, local support, mental health awareness training and other resources to help you support your staff and still run the business.
By Employers, For Employers
MINDFUL EMPLOYER is led by employers and is for employers. It’s about increasing awareness of mental health, helping you deliver your business, providing support networks and information, and making it healthier to talk about mental health.
Good Practices not Great Promises
MINDFUL EMPLOYER is concerned with helping you in recruiting and retaining valued and talented members of staff. It is completely voluntary and will support you as an employer to work towards putting its principles in to practice in ways which are sensible, achievable and realistic.
Adapted and Adopted
You are the expert on your business. MINDFUL EMPLOYER will support you in adapting its principles within your own policies, structure and culture, adopting them for the longer-term benefit of your staff.
Safe People not Scary Places
People can feel uncomfortable about talking with their manager about a mental health condition. Attitudes are improving but mental ill health remains an area of fear and stigma for many. By being a MINDFUL EMPLOYER you will demonstrate that you are willing to enable disclosure of mental ill health to take place without fear of rejection or prejudice.
What difference does it make?
Being involved with MINDFUL EMPLOYER is a way of your organisation making a public, tangible statement of your commitment to your staff. Supporting staff is shown to reduce costs related to sickness absence and lost productivity. Training for line managers has also been shown to be an important way of investing in your organisation's most important asset. You can read more about how MINDFUL EMPLOYER is making a difference and also in our evaluation of the initiative.
How will this be achieved?
It will take time. Changing attitudes and cultural expectations does not happen quickly and the principles of the initiative, further developed in the Charter for Employers who are Positive About Mental Health, are ones which you can, as an employer, work towards and implement within the normal policies and practices of your company.
MINDFUL EMPLOYER provides your organisation with:
- Easily accessible information and resources
- Signposting to national supporting agencies and those who are local to you
- A Charter for Employers who are Positive About Mental Health - a public, tangible sign of your commitment to your staff
- Access to MINDFUL EMPLOYER Plus - exclusively for organisations who are Charter signatories. MINDFUL EMPLOYER Plus provides confidential telephone support for staff and managers for just £1+VAT per person per year. Download Key Points or, if you're already a Charter signatory, sign up for MINDFUL EMPLOYER Plus now.
- Links to other employers who may have had similar experiences through LinkedIn, Local Employer Networks and the Good Work & Mental Well-Being Lab
- Training in mental health awareness at your business locations
- Practical, hands-on support
Looking for other help and advice? Please Contact Us